Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  GOES West Satellite has problems - many sites down 

Forums -> Archive -> GOES West Satellite has problems - many sites down Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. American - Inflow Lake ClementineLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 22, 2012Post Subject: GOES West Satellite has problems - many sites down
If you're wondering how come so many flow sites are down - Somes Bar and Clementine to name but two - if you look at the graph and see it chopped off around noon yesterday, then most likely the reason is as follows.

The GOES West satellite isn't currently operational, i.e. it's not transferring flow data from the gauge to wherever (USGS, CDEC, etc). Some river gauges don't use satellite, or do but have alternate feeds, and some gauges can "see" the GOES East satellite (which is still operational). So most flow sites remain operational, but some are off-line and will remain so for an indeterminate time.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 23, 2012
Our friends at the USGS report as follows:

"The GEOS-15 (GEOS WEST) satellite has been restored to service as of 11:09 am EDT. Data is again being transmitted."

So ... panic's over.
Forums -> Archive -> GOES West Satellite has problems - many sites down Page 1 of 1