Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Log in Bogus Thunder on the NF American 

Forums -> Hazards -> Log in Bogus Thunder on the NF American Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. American - Inflow Lake ClementineLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
axr6
Posted: Oct 14, 2009Post Subject: Log in Bogus Thunder on the NF American
As of today, Oct 14 2009, there is a dangerous log in the middle chute of the final drop in Bogus Thunder. Same exact place where a kayak was vertically pinned for months, 2 seasons back.

At a level of 1.4 on the put-in bridge, the log was sticking vertically out of the middle of the chute approximately 6-8" above the water surface. Log is jagged and is about 8" in diameter. It would most likely snag any swimmer heading down that chute. At higher waters it will just be under the surface!

Left route is un-effected and recommended.

Albert
dsoule
Posted: Oct 15, 2009Post Subject: Log in Bogus
Please keep me posted as to this log in the center chute of Bogus rapid. This river is in my backyard and we want to keep the run safe. We were the ones who pulled the kayak out last year and if the opportunity presents itself we would hope to remove the log also. Would a z-rig work or does it need a chain saw? Is there a possiblilty that it would flush out at higher flows?
Doug 530-308-7097
axr6
Posted: Oct 15, 2009Post Subject: Removing the log
It was not possible to determine how hard the log was anchored in the rocks below. The fact that we had that kayak vertically pinned so solidly in that very place indicates a serious trap underwater. A chain saw could be useful but, at minimal flows dragging it out would also likely work.

At low flows, like 300 cfs, you can actually see water flowing under the rocks at that spot. That makes it likely that objects, boats, logs, swimmers, would be pulled down into that sieve and get stuck there, as being the case.

I know that that chute/route appears to be the standard route for many people and groups but, I would avoid it altogether, even when it is clear. Even the large boulder just right of the chute is undercut, as seen by trapping a log there for weeks a year, or so, back. Any swimmer on river right could be at risk at multiple spots. Go left for a safer route!

Albert
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 15, 2009
This hazard sounds serious enough, and non-obvious enough, on a river paddled enough by those inexperienced enough, that I'm putting a link directly from the NFA entry on the flow reports to this thread.

This is sure to spark requests for similar links but - sorry, I don't have even nearly the time (or inclination) to spend my life creating and maintaining special links. But if you do - let's discuss
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 29, 2009
Doug Soule reports that "On Wednesday, October 28th the team floated the North Fork at 70 CFS and dropping. There was no wood in Bogus Thunder; however, incredible sieves there. Whoever posted it before said if you can go left, go left. We are looking at this at micro flows. 3 big sieves through Bogus that we never see at 200 CFS or above. The only place we encountered wood was at Chamberlain Falls, just lots of wood on the right. There is always a move at the left with no wood through the slot. The first slot at Grand Salmon there is a river wide strainer that is always under water. It probably has been there for 100 years. Staircase is a sievy death trap from hell but it has become more forgiving over the years. Still a portage at micro flows. I have never done the North Fork at these flows and surprisingly it was fun. Lots of little micro chutes especially at what we call Achilles heal. Not looking forward to doing it again but would if someone would go down. Just for time reference- it took us 3 hours to get to Bogus Thunder. Tried to remove the log at Grand Salmon – so 6 hours to get to the bridge."
axr6
Posted: Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for the report. Apparently, the wood in Bogus was either washed out or pulled by someone else. I assume that the 3 sieves you are talking about are in the middle-chute and the far right chute? Did the far left chute appeared to be a clean drop at those low levels?

In Staircase, are you referring to the large center boulder, just left of the main drop, as the "sieve from hell"? I once witnessed a 14' paddle raft getting washed up to it sideways. Right after the guide made everyone jump out onto the boulder, the raft got pulled under and stayed under, totally invisible to us. That indicated one "sieve from hell" to us. Shortly after two people died in that location.

The Chamberlain run should never be taken lightly. There are lots of sieves there even in places where most would not suspect. I once helped to pull the body of a raft guide from an innocent looking spot in that second river-wide "ledge drop" below Chamberlain falls. He fell off the raft and got pinned in a sieve that looks most innocent...

So, enjoy that fantastic river section but, be always careful,

Albert
Forums -> Hazards -> Log in Bogus Thunder on the NF American Page 1 of 1