Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Lumsden Road Re-opened 

Forums -> Archive -> Lumsden Road Re-opened Page 1 of 1
Posted to area: CA - Tuolumne - Lower and Cherry CreekLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
OarsAC
Posted: Mar 15, 2011Post Subject: Lumsden Road Re-opened
Forest Service just announced that Lumsden Road will re-open March 16th. Forest cautioned that more rain could bring down more slides.
dropthebass
Posted: Mar 27, 2011
wards ferry road had a road closed sign. you can drive past and make it down to takeout. there are a few parts where the creek runoff comes close to washing out over the road. about three or four landslides that look like they've been cleared. 

more importantly, lumsden road is completely blocked about a mile in by a huge tree. if anyone feels adventurous, bring a chainsaw.  I don't think forest service knows about it.

will post pics later. 
dropthebass
Posted: Mar 28, 2011
nickulus
Posted: Apr 5, 2011Post Subject: road still blocked on 4/1
I was part of a guide school group who went this way on Friday 4/1. The landslide shown in the photo was still there. There was another minor slide further down. We built rickshaws with our oar frames and went down to the river on foot.
RyanClark
Posted: Apr 6, 2011
Here are links to announcement pages for the Stanislaus National Forest, which maintains Lumsden Road. Hopefully they will post an announcement when Lumsden is reopened.

There are two slightly different pages. The URLs are long unholy messes, and aren't cooperating with the DF linking feature, so I created Tiny URLs.

Alerts and Notices:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110516&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ttype=alerts&pname=Stanislaus%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices

News and Events:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTS0djAwjQL8h2VAQAWygkGg!!/?ss=110516&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=180000000000000&pnavid=null&recid=null&actid=null&groupid=null&ttype=news&pname=Stanislaus%20National%20Forest-%20News%20&%20Events

There are feed subscription links for RSS/ATOM if you're in to that sort of thing.

Ryan
Jcilmi5
Posted: Apr 23, 2011Post Subject: When the road gonna open?
Does anyone know about how long It's going to be before Lumsden road re-opens? The Groveland ranger told me it might not be until late June...maybe later?
Terrybacon
Posted: May 1, 2011Post Subject: Lumsden Road reopening
The Forest Service called me last week to say that they do not expect to reopen the road until July. They said the slide damaged the roadbed which will take longer to repair. The Road down to Lumsden Falls was susposto be closed also. There is a trail down to the put in that is shorter than hiking the road down from the slides but you would have to call the Ranger Station to get directions. Since the road is closed if you have a permit during the affected time they will offer either a refund or rescheduling.
Smokey
Posted: Jun 20, 2011Post Subject: Tuolumne Access
I worked a commercial trip yesterday on the Tuolumne and talked to the concessionaire who is providing tansport to Meral's Pool for the commercial companies. USFS unlocks the gate for them and they use UTV's with trailers and haul down all the gear. The guides an clients walk down the South Fork trail.

I called USFS Groveland to ask for the contractor's number so I could set up my own private trip and they directed me to their website. The website claims that you can book an equipment shuttle through Tuolumne River Shuttles (209-732-6165).
Forums -> Archive -> Lumsden Road Re-opened Page 1 of 1