Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Is the road really open? And where are you obtaing stage? 

Forums -> Flows -> Is the road really open? And where are you obtaing stage? Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: - Latest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
floodseeker
Posted: Apr 22, 2011Post Subject: Is the road really open? And where are you obtaing stage?
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the road is open all the way to Hobo Gulch? I see Robin's post that's its open to the top but I have been turned away before with snow in the shadows from the top to the putin.

I was also curious about where dreamflows is obtaining the the river stage recordings since the USGS's CA realtime streamflow webpage (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/current/?type=flow#Parameter_monitored_seasonally) and CDEC are not reporting the stage. This gage is only run seasonally as part of the Trinity River Restoration Program's temperature monitoring, and they haven't turned it on yet. And unfortunately, the gage may not be turned on this spring for lack of funding. Or did you create a relationship between other USGS gages and the North Fork?

Thanks,
Wes
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Apr 22, 2011
Wes,

Dreamflows gets the gauge height via an alternate data feed, and converts that to flow using the USGS-supplied rating table. For whatever reason, USGS doesn't report the flows during the off season [probably whoever's funding the gauge doesn't want to pay for data handling and storage]. But, it's all the same gauge data, and it's available to me, so I report it. Cool, hey?

Chris
floodseeker
Posted: Apr 23, 2011Post Subject: That is cool
Hello Chris,

I knew the USGS kept all the equipment in the gage house but I didn't know if they kept it running during the winter. I was wondering given that the realtime temperature data is on the CDEC webpage.

For what its worth, my rating curve, based on the WY2009-10 data including the 5/5/2009 2,520 cfs (7.84 ft) flow measurement, is pretty similar to yours. There doesn't appear to be any significant shifts in the rating curve from WY2009 to 2010.

It is always good to know where the flow beta comes from.

Thanks for the info,
Wes
NSDan
Posted: Apr 30, 2011Post Subject: Very Cool
Chris,
This is what makes Dreamflows such a crucial site for kayakers in need of flow information!
Keep up the underground behind the scenes mish-mashing of flow data...big up!
Dan M
ps to all those who want to cut gauge funding--
boat512
Posted: May 9, 2011Post Subject: Road is open and flows are good!
We had a group of 7 on the run last friday the 6th of May. It may have been the first run of the season. There is still wood in the middle of the first rapid and a crack on the bottom right. It can be run on the right, but should be scouted.

I feel that the gauge is very close, if not, right on for the estimates. According to the estimates we had roughly 1100 - 1200 cfs during our run. I had done the run once a couple of years ago at ~1000 cfs and I would say we had a bit more this time around. Just to clarify, I believe the rating table is very accurate. Awesome flow by the way!

These gauges are crucial and are a tremendous help in planning and safety.

Thanks Chris!
Forums -> Flows -> Is the road really open? And where are you obtaing stage? Page 1 of 1