Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  NF Kern gauge is down 

Forums -> Archive -> NF Kern gauge is down Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. Kern - At KernvilleLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 22, 2011Post Subject: NF Kern gauge is down
The Army Corps of Engineers reports as follows:

"The Army Corps gauging station on the NF of the Kern @ Kernville (KKV on CDEC) is malfunctioning.

During a scheduled maintenance on Wednesday July 20, a large discrepancy between the staff reading and the sensor reading was discovered.  Heavy silting has partially blocked the bubbler sensor's outlet orifice, causing significant back pressure.  The back pressure leads to false readings.

An attempt to purge the outlet with a large compressor has compounded the problem by perhaps causing a major silt flow under the surface.

Technicians will return to the station ~ July 27 and be prepared for more extensive efforts.

The Army Corps will suppress the erroneous data and report it as missing.  The calculated Lake Isabella inflow value is very close to the value at Kernville and should be used for rule of thumb estimates."

The hourly CDEC page for Isabella jumps around a lot, so I suggest using the INFLOW column of this page: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?ISB  ... of course that's only daily average so it hides the daily cycle, but it should still give you a good idea of the flow at Kernville.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 27, 2011
The Army Corps of Engineers reports as follows:

"The Army Corps Kernville gauging station (CDEC KKV) has been returned to service.  A temporary repair has been put into place.  The station will be down again for a short time, after the river flow has dropped significantly, in order to affect a permanent solution."
Forums -> Archive -> NF Kern gauge is down Page 1 of 1