Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Dreamflows is now estimating Mark West Creek flows 

Forums -> Flows -> Dreamflows is now estimating Mark West Creek flows Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Mark West Creek - Near Santa RosaLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Dec 16, 2012Post Subject: Dreamflows is now estimating Mark West Creek flows
Dreamflows is now estimating flows on Mark West Creek, based on flows on Santa Rosa Creek.  Unfortunately flow at both locations goes up and down quickly, and very little useful historical data is available, so estimating Mark West flows is a questionable undertaking.  On the other hand the historical data, meagre though it is, shows that Mark West Creek tracks Santa Rosa Creek well most of the time.

As a compromise, Dreamflows is reporting this estimate, but marking it 'rough' on the reports.  Your feedback on the accuracy or otherwise of this estimate would be great.

Also note that at this time, Dreamflows isn't trying to associate gauge height at the put-in bridge with the flow estimate on the flow report.  However, over time this may be possible if you post or email your gauge height observations.  Every little bit helps, even if (sometimes especially if) the flow is not in the normal boatable range.  Please record the date/time too, to the minute if you can.

Thanks to Larry Horne for providing inspiration for this estimate, and to the paddlers who entered gauge height observations in years past.  This estimate wouldn't exist without you.
larryh
Posted: Dec 20, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to do this Chris!
I plan to keep notes of the gauge heights and report them here. Hopefully others will help out!
dwnrivr
Posted: Dec 21, 2012Post Subject: flow today
2' at 8:30 this morning
larryh
Posted: Dec 22, 2012
12/05/12 @ 8:30 am- 1.5'
12/22/12 @ 11:15 am- 2.6'
tobysalz
Posted: Dec 23, 2012Post Subject: MWC Flows
here's some flows i've noted over the past month. hope this helps.

11/30/12 - 3.75 @ 11:45am
11/30/12 - 4.75 @ 1:45pm
12/1/12 - 2.1 @ 10:00am
12/5/12 - 1.5 @ 9:40am
dwnrivr
Posted: Dec 3, 2014Post Subject: MWC this afternoon
Just got a visual on the bridge and it's at 1' and rising. Hoping to get on it this afternoon
dwnrivr
Posted: Dec 3, 2014
12/3/14 3:30pm 1.75' seemed like 200cfs or so a good low flow.
12/3/14 3:30pm 866cfs Mark West Creek USGS gauge,Forestville
larryh
Posted: Dec 12, 2014
12/12/14 ~2.0 @ 11am

The recent storm has done a nice job clearing out any logs that were in play, subject to change with the next storm.

The willows (alders?) growing in a few of the bottom gravel bars..they're out of control. bring a saw.
dwnrivr
Posted: Dec 16, 2014
12/16/14 1.25 @ 2pm looked too low to run
(estimate hard to read below 2 someone painted over in black)
Edited twice.  Last edited by dwnrivr Dec 16, 2014.
Forums -> Flows -> Dreamflows is now estimating Mark West Creek flows Page 1 of 1