Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  North Fork American (Chamby) - sieve 

Forums -> Hazards -> North Fork American (Chamby) - sieve Page 1 of 2
Goto 1  2  Next
Posted to flow site: No. American - Inflow Lake ClementineLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
markusfarkus
Posted: Feb 14, 2013Post Subject: North Fork American (Chamby) - sieve
Hey everyone. I am posting this because the same situation happened twice in a week. Two people (myself included) hit a shallow rock shelf in the class 2 above Bogus Thunder and were throw backwards into the horrible sieve on river right (photo shows backside of sieve). We both managed to make it out, but it was close. Apparently there is some room lower in the sieve, the lower the better your chances to flush through it seems. Currently there is a green Dagger creekboat stuck in the sieve and possible a white/black Werner paddle. Hug the left shore as close as possible, just don't hit this rock. I know that everyone is aware of this, just reminding people not to get lazy like I did. The flows on our trips were 550 and 600. Below is a link to my blog post about it and his video (on a Facebook group page, must have Facebook account to view it). Safe boating everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/158428174241129/

http://onyourmarkadventures.blogspot.com/

ricky1960
Posted: Feb 20, 2013Post Subject: Sieve
Hi Mark,
I'm trying to figure out where you hit a rock shelf that put you into the sieve? I've always given that thing a wide berth! Do you remember how close you were when you got hung up?
I often lead folks down, just trying to asses the risk.

Thanks,
Ricky
Posted: Feb 20, 2013Post Subject: RE: Ricky
I've looked at that video and based on my memory and seeing the video it appears that we were both about 8-10 feet off the left bank moving river left.

My friend tells me that it wasn't a rock shelf, but just a large FU rock. If you stay far left and are moving left you should be fine. We were about river middle moving left and hit the rock. Another guy I saw go far right (a little scary looking) around the rock and then move left.
ricky1960
Posted: Feb 20, 2013Post Subject: Video?
Have you posted the video somewhere where other folks can see it?
You mentioned the other person also had video, is it available online?

Thanks!

Ricky
Posted: Feb 20, 2013
Yeah I just put it on my blog. Click the link above. And his was the only video.
ANYCFS
Posted: Feb 24, 2013Post Subject: NoFoAmerica - Chamberalin
What seems to have happened is that during the flood stage earlier this season, the gravel buildup in the run on river left have been swept away leaving these two water level FU rocks exposed now when the flow is below 600 CFS.
Last Sunday, in my IK, I wanted to charge left between the two newly exposed rocks but got stuck on the lower of the two and flipped over that lower rock near the large boulder/sieve - and for the life of me the SUCK on my legs pulling me down and under was quite impressive and scarey.
At 650 and higher, those two rocks are going to be below water level but could still be troublesome until the flow is much higher.
ricky1960
Posted: Feb 24, 2013Post Subject: Sieve
I think I've taken the far right, around some rocks then left right past the sieve line the last few times at low flow. It puts you closer to the sieve but the water is deeper.
Posted: Feb 24, 2013Post Subject: Sieve on Chamberlain
At these flows I highly suggest going as far left as possible. Yesterday someone in our group tried to go from right to left, got spun out, flipped, and ended up in the sieve (possibly a log has become exposed, not entirely sure as I went down the left side). We were all aware of the danger and had read the posts but things are still changing as the water drops. The person was OK and all gear was recovered, the green boat is still stuck in the sieve.
wasiel
Posted: Feb 25, 2013Post Subject: Pictures and Video of Sieve at 480 cfs

I took a picture and video of the sieve on Sunday 2/24/13 with the flow at 480 cfs. Here is link to the video: https://vimeo.com/60474522

I would advise portaging on the left at this flow since the consequences of flipping are high. Be safe!

Posted: Feb 25, 2013Post Subject: Sieve video
It appears to have changed a lot, It used to be that most of the water went around to the left, not too much going into the sieve. Looks like a definate portage at this flow at least. Pretty damn scary looking.
Posted: Feb 25, 2013Post Subject: Portage of Sieve
For those of you that are wondering, the portage is an easy boat drag on river left.

Posted: Feb 25, 2013
extremely low flow.
..gets any lower you can walk over and pull some stuff outta there.
is the gauge reading high?

ANYCFS
Posted: Feb 26, 2013Post Subject: How to fix this problem
Jeff W contacted Bill at CA State Parks
Mark and Dick are thinking of paddling in there tomorrow and are going to post warnings at Putin and Takeout and may attempt to hang some yellow caution tape on both river L & R above the start of this rapid
Doug is talking with Placer Co about getting assistance
If the flow does not come up again, given warmer temps and snow melt, some folks are talking about trying to cut through that log, and try to get to the sunken kayak if possible and remove it this weekend.
If flows increase, then the chance to remedy decreases.
Keeping Spreading a word of caution!
larryh
Posted: Feb 27, 2013
I hope nobody puts up caution tape. that's lame.

It IS a class four run, and that sieve is entirely within the rating.

the only thing it needs to be fixed is a proper flow.
seriously. there's 200 cfs in there tops.
dansadowski
Posted: Feb 27, 2013
Seriously? Caution tape... That is some weak sauce. Next thing, you'll want a ranger with wands giving you directions.

It's class 4 for a reason.

Dan
Forums -> Hazards -> North Fork American (Chamby) - sieve Page 1 of 2
Goto 1  2  Next