Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  North Fork American (Chamby) - sieve 

Forums -> Hazards -> North Fork American (Chamby) - sieve Page 2 of 2
Goto Prev  1  2
Posted to flow site: No. American - Inflow Lake ClementineLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
tobysalz
Posted: Feb 28, 2013Post Subject: i want in on this thread!
dudes -- this is the new chambies rockslide discussion for 2013. i call it rockslide-gate. a recurrent theme on this run.

yeah -- caution tape is over the top. maybe we should be bringing in canyoneering gear for these flows. or maybe we should be riding bikes or drinking beers or skiing or roller blading.

i'm totally dressing up as ranger with a wand for halloween next year. thanks for the idea dan.
brendan
Posted: Feb 28, 2013
I hear that there is a rock in one of the rapids in Royal Gorge that if you were upside down would hurt a bit. Let's flag that too.

Seriously, that sieve is about as obvious as it gets and the hazard has been flagged. Signage at put in a take out would flag that hazard as excessively hazardous compared to the rest of the run.
bayareawwk
Posted: Mar 3, 2013Post Subject: Chamberlain's death sieve
Yes, this is an obvious sieve, yes it is easy to avoid.

That said, my paddling buddy and I were on this run yesterday ( Saturday, March 2nd). Between the two of us, we have over 100 runs here from flows ranging from 300cfs to 2500cfs

We have both paddled enough Class V to have our shit together

Mother Nature does not care.

My buddy was in this sieve for about 10 minutes and it is only divine providence that he made it out alive.

Paddling without a rope on me, I stood by watching helplessly.

And to top it all off, my boat slipped from the banks, floated away without me and is now struck, pinned in Bogus, right of center. Should be easy to get out, if you have a rope. The only rope was in the boat of my buddy which made it thru Bogus and pinned on a rock about 1/2 mile above Staircase. We got that out by using our two leashes together as I swum out to it.

I paddled my buddy's boat thru Staircase and we alternatingly paddled and walked out arriving at the take out about 2 hours later than expected.

Chamberlains has claimed two Werner bent shaft paddles with contact numbers on them, one Nomad 8.1, but it let my buddy go and for that I am eternally grateful.

Needless to say, I am not paddling today and head back home to Seattle.

If a Good Samaritan wants to rescue the boat, please leave it at the SOC in Auburn where Guy Cables knows me and I will make it worth your while. Same goes for the two bent shaft paddles floating somewhere.

Kiran
bayareawwk
Posted: Mar 3, 2013Post Subject: Rope...
Before we have a lot of public Monday morning quarterbacking, let me confess it was lax of me to be paddling without of rope on me.

I thought about the fact that I have neither a breakdown or a rope with me and remember saying to myself in my head, " But it is ONLY chamberlains, which we know like the back of our hands AND we are in creek boats AND it is only 500 cfs"

Lesson learned: no paddling even class I without a rope ON me.

Class II move with Class Death consequences....

And yes, I had read this posting before getting on the river me recall thinking, "Flag on Chamberlain's that's lame" and yes, we recognized the death sieve from above..

Cornbread
Posted: Mar 3, 2013Post Subject: Friends don't let friends ELF
I don't mean to point out the obvious but if you paddle the run with water you don't have to worry about the sieve. I'm with Larry, there is maybe 200 cfs in there. In the winter, the gauge is down near Auburn and reports more flow than there is in the gorge due to the influx of downstream tribs. My minimum for fun is 600-700 cfs which correlates to about 800-900 cfs on the gauge reading during the winter. Food for thought....
bayareawwk
Posted: Mar 3, 2013Post Subject: Flows
"Cornbread": I have to respectfully disagree. The flows were right about 400 - 500 cfs

We have run this at this flow many times and it is a fine, fun flow albeit one where more sieves come out to play.

Slaughters, Chamberlains, Grand Slalom, Achiles's were all clean albeit with tighter lines

Staircase was wonderful (inspite of the somber mood) with sweet boofs.

The only rapid that I would ALWAYS portage at this flow is Bogus and it looks worse than the last time I saw it at these flows (about 2 years ago!)

Dont know if others have observed this, but there was also a log in Chamberlain's Falls on the right side. We ran the left slot.
wasiel
Posted: Mar 3, 2013Post Subject: Picture of Backside of Sieve
Here is a picture of the backside of the sieve taken today (3/3/13) with a flow of 630 cfs. The pinned green kayak is visible.
Posted: May 26, 2013Post Subject: Log Has Been Cut - Kayak Has Been Removed
A friend and I did a low water (200 cfs) inflatable kayak run on Saturday 5/25/13 and cut the log out using a battery powered chainsaw. Also, a gold miner has removed the pinned green kayak. The sieve will continue to be more of hazard than usual until rocks/gravel moves to increase the depth of the pool and reduce the amount of water going through the sieve.
Before picture

After Picture