Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  September 19 - 22 Rec Releases 

Forums -> Archive -> September 19 - 22 Rec Releases Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Canyon Creek - Below French LakeLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
theresaAW1
Posted: Sep 10, 2014Post Subject: September 19 - 22 Rec Releases
Date: September 10, 2014 at 11:22:20 AM PDT
Subject: Fwd: Nevada Irrigation District - Recreation Streamflows at Canyon Creek Below French Lake Dam

On September 18, 2014, Nevada Irrigation District (NID) plans to draft water out of French Lake until the lake elevation reaches 6,636 feet. In effort to develop and refine a method to implement future FERC license requirements associated with whitewater boating flows, NID will be using this draft event to practice targeting a recreation streamflow of 140 CFS in Canyon Creek below French Lake Dam.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/6363/

NID intends to begin the draft on September 18th, with the target recreation streamflow of 140 CFS anticipated September 19-22, 2014.

In 2012, American Whitewater completed negotiations for the Yuba Bear hydroelectric project, operated by Nevada Irrigation District (NID). One of the outcomes of these negotiations was that NID would provide flow for whitewater boating in September each year. NID is not required to do these release at this time, their new license as not yet been issued, but they are trying to get out ahead of their new license to insure that all of the new license conditions are, in fact, feasible. We applaud their proactive approach.

Dave Steindorf
California Stewardship Director
American Whitewater
4 Baroni Drive
Chico, CA 95928

Join or donate today!
www.americanwhitewater.org
darinm
Posted: Sep 22, 2014
FYI things could be coordinated a bit better by NID. I ran into their dam keeper and he said they lowered the level of Faucherie Lake to make room for the incoming water...

Because of that, as of yesterday afternoon Faucherie Lake had not spilled, so there was only water in the short run from French Lake to Faucherie Lake, and 30cfs from Faucherie to Sawmill and Sawmill to Bowman. They planned on turning the water off just after lunch today, so even if it did spill, I'm not sure there was a window large enough to do the whole run from French Lake to Bowman Lake.

140cfs was a good level, certainly not too high.
Forums -> Archive -> September 19 - 22 Rec Releases Page 1 of 1