Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  ALERT: SLAB CREEK FLOWS THIS WEEKEND! 

Forums -> Flows -> ALERT: SLAB CREEK FLOWS THIS WEEKEND! Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: - Latest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
theresaAW1
Posted: May 2, 2019Post Subject: ALERT: SLAB CREEK FLOWS THIS WEEKEND!
ALERT for SLAB CREEK FLOWS THIS WEEKEND!

Water temperatures are approaching a seven day average of 12˚ C which is the threshold that signals egg laying for Foothill Yellow Legged Frog (FYLF). These frogs are a State and Federal species of concern and may soon be listed as endangered, as such SMUD's hydropower license has required conditions to provide habitat as if FYLF exist on Slab Creek. If this temperature threshold is met recreational flows will be cancelled. Otherwise, SMUD will target flows of 1100 cfs. Please check the AW river page for Slab Creek or your gauges before departing.

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/147/
theresaAW1
Posted: May 2, 2019Post Subject: REC FLOWS ARE A GO - ENJOY!
This just in from SMUD Happy Paddling! "Given the cool weather experienced this week in the SF American watershed, the 7DMAVG temperature at SFAR 6 stands at 11.6º C. At this point, given the prior 6 day’s water temperature data, the daily mean would need to be 16° C today for the 7-day moving average to exceed the Adaptive Management threshold of 12° C by this Friday, the day which SMUD committed to providing information on whether or not the recreation flows would occur. Considering the current meteorological forecast, realizing a 16° C daily mean at SFAR 6 is practically impossible. Furthermore, I have been informed that SMUD still expects no issues managing spills at Slab Creek Dam to ≤1,500 cfs, with a good likelihood of being able to maintain the targeted 1,100 cfs."
Forums -> Flows -> ALERT: SLAB CREEK FLOWS THIS WEEKEND! Page 1 of 1