Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  LOG IN GRAYS FALLS Burnt Ranch Gorge Trinity River 

Forums -> Hazards -> LOG IN GRAYS FALLS Burnt Ranch Gorge Trinity River Page 2 of 2
Goto Prev  1  2
Posted to flow site: Trinity - At Cedar FlatLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Lou
Posted: Sep 6, 2008Post Subject: The log is dropped
I was on the ranch yesterday and someone dropped the log. About an 8' section on river left was cut. The log is now jammed between the river right rock (the root ball) and the smaller rock in the left side of the channel. Beware that there is no longer an oh F(*k limbo option if you somehow miss the gigantic eddy. Walking is still necessary unless you run the right sneak. A suggested scout should be done first if selecting this alternative line. However, with about 100cfs more the log boof line will be a go with little worries.

We've discussed using mechanical advantage to assist in getting it out. Perhaps we will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Lou
BenYork
Posted: Sep 6, 2008
its going to have to be a comealong and a chainsaw, 5 guys and a bunch of time to get the log completely out of the channel. i will not be attempting, since i have no time, but it could certainly be done.
BEN
BenYork
Posted: Nov 5, 2008
The log can be easily boofed above about 600 cfs
orionM
Posted: Nov 14, 2008
Ben's right, and at 1000 CFS it actually makes the rapid steeper, and more fun. Just to put something positive in......
nikibeanster
Posted: Jun 3, 2009Post Subject: Photo at about 1500 cfs? from WA's Advanced Workshop '08
We took this photo in March 2008. It's definitely in the main run. Approx 1500 cfs?
BenYork
Posted: Jun 8, 2009
that looks like about 700
Lou
Posted: Jul 21, 2009Post Subject: Reminder: Log at Greys
Although this probably doesn't need to be stated, the log at Greys is still there and will probably be there for the unforeseen future. As of Sunday 7_19_09 @ approximately 600 CFS, the boof the log line was still in. However, as the water continues to drop the line will not hold! So for those of you not familiar with the run and the log exercise extreme caution when running Greys.

~Cheers~
Forums -> Hazards -> LOG IN GRAYS FALLS Burnt Ranch Gorge Trinity River Page 2 of 2
Goto Prev  1  2