Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Drowning South Yuba @ Hwy 49 Bridge +- 1989 

Forums -> General -> Drowning South Yuba @ Hwy 49 Bridge +- 1989 Page 1 of 1
 Author  Message 
ranger diane
Posted: Apr 20, 2022Post Subject: Drowning South Yuba @ Hwy 49 Bridge +- 1989
Do you remember hearing about this event that happened in the late 1980’s? Can you help me identify the year?

Two teenage brothers launched a Kmart inflatable raft off the beach at the Hwy 49 bridge on the South Yuba during high flows and subsequently drowned. Witnesses reported that one boy climbed onto a boulder, saw his brother being swept away, and jumped back in to save him. Neither were seen again.

About two years later, some bones of one brother surfaced and were discovered. In my job as a State Park Ranger, I was sent to recover them.

I’d like look up newspaper reports so I can try to contact their mother.
If I can identify the correct year (or month and year) the librarian of the local newspaper archives can do a “manual” search for me, since the old records aren’t in digital format and I’m now living in Southern California.

A friend introduced me to astronomy last year, and I think of her boys whenever I see the constellation Gemini, which represents brotherly love. You can look up the Gemini story. I’d like to share it with her, if she doesn’t know it already, so she too can see her sons together for eternity in the night sky.

Forums -> General -> Drowning South Yuba @ Hwy 49 Bridge +- 1989 Page 1 of 1