Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  New wood strainer blocking entrance to gorge! 

Forums -> Archive -> New wood strainer blocking entrance to gorge! Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Mi. Rogue - Above Butte Falls RdLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
shaggy
Posted: Mar 26, 2008Post Subject: New wood strainer blocking entrance to gorge!
There are two new logs that are end-to-end broached across the entrance to the MF Gorge. There may be a very risky, tight line through on the right but, it is one that neither of us were willing to take due to it's class V consequences if the line was botched. This hazard and the gorge is unportagable.
There were also questions raised about unknown wood hazards deeper into the gorge.

This discovery forced us to hike/climb/scramble up a 500+, very steep slope on river right to a forest service road. Not a task that I'd want to repeat!

If and when this wood flushes, it has the potential to get hung up in one of the rapids deeper in the gorge, leaving any boaters commited to the vertical walled gorge.

....please, use caution on this run!
erikclarsen
Posted: Apr 29, 2009Post Subject: Anyone been in there?
And know whether the wood is gone or moved? Thanks.

Erik
shaggy
Posted: Apr 29, 2009Post Subject: Unknown status of log in MF Rogue gorge
Not sure what the status is of the wood in there. Probably would have to hike in to find out. I haven't heard anything new.

- Shaggy
erikclarsen
Posted: May 16, 2010Post Subject: The wood has moved and improved...
Go here for pictures:

http://mail.dataglyph.com/pipermail/waterdogs_dataglyph.com/attachments/20100516/3995c73e/attachment-0005.jpe

http://mail.dataglyph.com/pipermail/waterdogs_dataglyph.com/attachments/20100516/3995c73e/attachment-0006.jpe

The flow was fairly low today and the limbo will get scarce at higher or maybe even medium flows. The climb out is pretty bad with gear.

Erik
erikclarsen
Posted: Apr 11, 2011Post Subject: Wood Hazard Gone
My friend went in there and reported no wood in the entrance or in the gorge - 4.10.2011. Enjoy.
J St John
Posted: Apr 11, 2011Post Subject: Middle Rogue is clear of wood
The gorge is clear of wood! Also the estimate for this run is way off, so I would advise that the best way to figure the flow out is, if everything has a good amount a water in the area then the middle fork is probably in at a good medium flow. Paddled the MF on saturday and the flow estimate said low. In reality it was on the good side a medium. So use your best judgment. Also, I would advise to scout the first steep boulder garden. Looks like have changed a little in there. Making the usual line a little marginal, but still goes
Forums -> Archive -> New wood strainer blocking entrance to gorge! Page 1 of 1