Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  So how did we get flow data for Cisco? 

Forums -> Flows -> So how did we get flow data for Cisco? Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Yuba - Near CiscoLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
amtuscano
Posted: Apr 20, 2008Post Subject: So how did we get flow data for Cisco?
This is great! No more driving up to the Summit to see what the Kingvale stretch is doing. Has this gauge always been there? Anyone have an idea what the cfs data mean in relation to the old stick gauge on the Kingvale bridge? If not, I guess we'll just have to get out there and figure it out this spring. That won't be any fun at all
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Apr 20, 2008
Yes, I believe the Cisco gauge has been there for a long time, however it hasn't been available on the Web until now.  PG&E is making such data available as part of the relicensing effort.  The idea is that now they're reporting flows for their gauges on the Bear and SF Yuba, we know when to go paddle the runs and give feedback on what we thought of them, what flows were best, etc.  As I understand it, American Whitewater intends to publish online feedback forms at some point.

Note: However, the Upper SF Yuba (Summit and Spaulding runs) aren't part of the relicensing effort, given they're above Spaulding and PG&E can't control the flow.  Therefore, PG&E had no obligation whatsoever to give us Cisco gauge data; they're just being nice guys.  Actually, very nice guys, when you consider how useful this gauge will be.

We ran the Summit run yesterday at 7 inches on the stick gauge, which was about 550 cfs according to the Cisco gauge.  It was low.  H&S give the flow range as 400 to 1000 cfs, but either their numbers are off or the Cisco gauge is reading high (or both).  Our take was that the minimum fun flow for a hardshell would probably be about what we had, say 550 cfs on the Cisco gauge, and that the upper range would therefore be correspondingly higher, say 1200 or even 1500.  If you have input on suitable flow ranges, please share.
Ian Buckley
Posted: May 14, 2008
We ran Kingvale to just above East meets West the evening of Sunday May12. New Cisco gauge read approx 700 at 5pm when we started and 900 by 8PM when we were getting done. 700 was a good flow for the upper, stuff was padded, holes were sticky. The lower started to become a handful, 3 blind mice was huge, and eventually only Macy Burnham and Andrew Holcombe were left of the group styling some seriously pushy water. East meets West viewed from upstream looked HUGE!
AmandaM
Posted: May 15, 2008Post Subject: Summit run
Hi,

To help with understanding what the new gauge numbers mean, I thought I'd offer another data point. Macy and I paddled Summit last night (May 15). We started at ~6:45pm near Rainbow and the @ Cisco gauge read ~1100cfs. This was an awesome water level for the Rainbow to Cisco section. There were some big holes, but overall the lines stayed the same.

But I think this would be ***A LOT*** of water for the below Cisco (i.e. 3 Blind Mice & East Meets West) section. I think that lower section would be pretty burly at that flow!
macykayak
Posted: May 18, 2008Post Subject: Guage Reading
Ryan and I ran from Kingvale to Cisco on Friday. We put on at about 6p.m. and took out at 8. Judging by the guage we estimated that the flows were around 1300 to 1600cfs. We both thought that this was an excellent flow for this section. A couple of the rapids had long quick runouts and large waves and holes but the pool drop nature of the run made them fairly straight forward. The run does get more difficult at the rainbow rapids. The first one went on the right side but we put in half way down Lower Rainbow rapid.(Below the rather low head dam-esque hole). While Cisco to E-meets-W may have been out of hand the upper run was very good and would recommend if you are familiar with the run. Would call this section Medium High and would definitely go in at higher flows.

I ran from Eagle Lakes exit (Ski Jump) rapid to E-Meets-W on Saturday (Flow est between 1000 and 1200 on new guage) The rapids were big and pushy. Only Taylor Cavin ran E-Meets-W. Would definitely call this section High on the guage.
Forums -> Flows -> So how did we get flow data for Cisco? Page 1 of 1