Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Projected Fordyce water flows / SPILLS 

Forums -> Flows -> Projected Fordyce water flows / SPILLS Page 1 of 2
Goto 1  2  Next
Posted to flow site: Fordyce Creek - Below Fordyce DamLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
bwhite2837
Posted: Jun 11, 2008Post Subject: Projected Fordyce water flows / SPILLS
Does anyone have any idea of the projected flows for Fordyce creek? I am planning a trip up there June 25 - 29, and don't want to get stuck between crossings.

Thanks
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jun 11, 2008
It should be low enough to cross in a four-wheeler, at least that was the projection a month back. But I'll check to make sure nothing's changed, and post what I find here.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jun 12, 2008
PG&E report as follows:

"The reservoir is filling, current draft is around 33 cfs down Fordyce Creek. Fordyce is not expected to fully fill. Water is just starting to reach the check structure or upper spillway. We have an operator on site during the fill period.

Forecasted flows can change based on weather and power demand and are not set in stone. Jeepers should be aware of the high potential for flow changes, water safety and the need to have a contingency plan should flows be increased. It is recommended that Jeepers use the time period slated for the Sierra Trek in August when flows are stable and not subject to change.

The flows for the remainder of June should remain near 30 to 40 range.

July forecast shows a release around 80 cfs

August 1 through August 11, flows will be reduced for the annual Sierra Jeep run.

September timeframe we plan to perform the recreation flow studies 300, 400 & 500 cfs

If a significant flow change is made in June beyond 50 cfs, PG&E will fly channel and warn third parties located on river of increase in river flows (public safety)."
bwhite2837
Posted: Jun 13, 2008Post Subject: Fordyce Creek - Below Fordyce Dam
Thanks Chris
patfo
Posted: Jul 3, 2008Post Subject: Re:
chris wrote:
PG&E report as follows:

".... The flows for the remainder of June should remain near 30 to 40 range.

July forecast shows a release around 80 cfs....

quote]

I notice that the flow for Fordyce is still in the 30's. Anyone know if July's actual release is going to deviate from the original forecast?

Thanks

Posted: Jul 8, 2008
According to my PG&E contact, the new flow regime is as follows: The current flow (around 35 to 40 cfs) is expected to continue through July 31. At that point the flow should drop to 25 cfs through Aug 11 for the Sierra Trek. Thereafter the flow should jump to about 150 cfs (Aug 12) until the recreation / flow study releases start the following week or thereabouts. At this point, he's unsure what the flow study releases will be, but expects they'll be in the 400 cfs range.

I'll check back in with him at the end of the month and get an update.
Golder
Posted: Jul 15, 2008Post Subject: Chris? Are you holding out
on us man?

"September timeframe we plan to perform the recreation flow studies 300, 400 & 500 cfs"

and we gotta wait another month to get dates? I havent been teased like this since my 17 year old girlfriend back in the day.

What kind of free informational page is this anyway

tks pal

Posted: Jul 17, 2008
Hey, nice photo. I remember that drop well ... should I wimp and walk it ... or run it and scream like a 17-year-old girl ?

I'll post here when I have more definite info on releases.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 30, 2008
PG&E shared as follows:

"Here is the preliminary plan and has not been formalized.

8/13 Begin a release of 150 cfs
8/22 Increase the release to 400 cfs
8/23 Reduce the release to 300 cfs
8/25 Return the release to 150 cfs"

Note that the above schedule is the current plan but it's not been cast in stone yet - it could change.

My understanding however is that the flows will be very low (25 cfs range) from 8/1 through 8/11 or so for the Sierra Trek. That part is pretty much cast in stone.

The flow data feed from PG&E to Dreamflows is down right now so no Fordyce flows are currently being posted, but the feed should be back soon.
Golder
Posted: Jul 31, 2008Post Subject: nice
thanks man
Posted: Jul 31, 2008Post Subject: i think
thats the same as the cherry creek race.
Posted: Aug 1, 2008
Quote:
thats the same as the cherry creek race.

Indeed.  Guess that's the downside of a race that's "under the radar" - no-one outside our little clique knows about it .  Anyway, I have absolutely nothing to do with the Fordyce flow study flows, in terms of either magnitude or timing ... probably your best bet if you want anything changed is to contact Dave Steindorf at American Whitewater.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 4, 2008
There's been a change of plan. According to my PG&E contact, the new flow regime is as follows. He writes:

"FYI: Update on Fordyce Flows:
8/1 - 8/11 approximately 35 cfs - Sierra Trek Jeep Jamboree
8/11 - 8/12 approximately 35 cfs - Fish Population Field Study Plan Fordyce Creek
8/13 Increase draft to 150 cfs - Fly channel prior to flow change
8/29 Increase draft to 400 cfs - Fly channel prior to flow change
8/30 Recreation Flow 400 cfs
8/30 - pm decrease flow to 300 cfs
8/31 Recreation Flow 300 cfs
9/1 Decrease draft to 150 cfs"

Comments? Remember: this still isn't cast in stone - more changes are possible, though I suspect The Plan is becoming more solid now.
Golder
Posted: Aug 4, 2008Post Subject: hey thanks chris
think there is any chance of getting a higher flow since its not set in stone? Anyway thanks for your help, appreciate it,

J.C.
Posted: Aug 4, 2008
They intend to do a 500 cfs flow study (as well as the 300 and 400 cfs which comprise this flow study). My understanding is they can't do the 500 cfs flow study this year since there isn't enough water in the reservoir to sustain that kind of flow (head height translates to pressure translates to max. flow) ... but they'll get to it some year I'm sure. They have until 2011 or so (relicensing is due only 2013).
Forums -> Flows -> Projected Fordyce water flows / SPILLS Page 1 of 2
Goto 1  2  Next