Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Kings River/Garlic Falls area 

Forums -> General -> Kings River/Garlic Falls area Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Kings - At Rodgers CrossingLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
markoldar
Posted: Nov 12, 2009Post Subject: Kings River/Garlic Falls area
I am looking to access the Garlic Falls area on the Kings River. A logging flume went thorough this area and a friend and I would like to explore this area. From the pics I have seen on this website and some historic photos, hiking looks out of the question....any advice would be appreciated.

Mark
JFarm
Posted: Nov 16, 2009Post Subject: garlic falls
hi mark, I have been in that area several times. there is a trail at g. dyke that will get you up river a few miles. after that you have to boulder hop and cross river a couple times. i go up there usually august-octoberish, depending on storms in the fall. i look at the rog. cross. flows and when that is down to 300 or lower, its a good time to go. there are many precautions to take, as you are probably aware of. rainfall can swell the river up quickly. also, footing can be very slippery, not to mention plenty of rattlers. good luck, i hoped this helped.
markoldar
Posted: Nov 18, 2009Post Subject: Garlic Falls
Any idea of your hiking time. Were you in and out on the same day?
JFarm
Posted: Nov 18, 2009
yeah, i have always made day trips out of the hike. i go back there to flyfish, so i have never made a b-line to garlic falls. my guess is its about 2+ hours each way.... i will usually hike a hour on the trail, fish, and on a good day we will make it back there. there was a trail crew back there this year, so the trail is in pretty good shape. however, the trail only goes just past half way.... it is quite the journey.....
Forums -> General -> Kings River/Garlic Falls area Page 1 of 1