Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  newbie needs advice on clothing for spring paddling 

Forums -> General -> newbie needs advice on clothing for spring paddling Page 1 of 1
 Author  Message 
jjeisel
Posted: Jan 8, 2010Post Subject: newbie needs advice on clothing for spring paddling
I have an IK I've used for class 2-3 during warm summer months, but hoping to begin using it this spring as well to take advantage of seasonal streams and higher flows from snowmelt. I don't have any clothing right now and am looking for advice on how to get geared up and warm as inexpensively as possible.

It sounds like a Farmer John, paddlejacket, neoprene booties and hood or cap would work? as a basic combo?

Do you think a 3 mm Farmer John (say, NRS) is OK for streams like N. Fork American, Bear River, etc in March-May? Or do I need 4-5 mm?

Can I use a regular rainjacket like a Marmot Precip as my splash/paddle jacket over the Farmer John, or do I need a "splash/paddle jacket?"

If I get a 3 mm Farmer John and wear polypro or Capilene longjohns under the wetsuit, will this keep me warmer (as if I was wearing a 4-5 mm) or will the constant wet defeat the undergarment and make me colder?

Your experience and advice is much appreciated - thanks!
shastagirl
Posted: Jan 17, 2010Post Subject: drysuit
Just get a drysuit. Its the best piece of gear a IK boater can have. I use mine for 70% of my boating season. Try the kokatat TROPOS semi-dry with socks. Tropos are tops for the money and the service upon any needed repair.
Forums -> General -> newbie needs advice on clothing for spring paddling Page 1 of 1