Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Changes in Giant Gap since the big flows of Dec 2010 

Forums -> Hazards -> Changes in Giant Gap since the big flows of Dec 2010 Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. American - Inflow Lake ClementineLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Ian Buckley
Posted: Jan 17, 2011Post Subject: Changes in Giant Gap since the big flows of Dec 2010
Ran Giant Gap for the first time since the large flows in Dec 2010. There have been considerable changes but nothing to be alarmed about. Many of the gravel bar rapids have been completely rearranged and low water runs may be a little scrapey until new channels get deeper. The (1997?) log that was pinned early on against a giant house size boulder and used to require an aggressive right ferry has gone (Yes, I thought it would never move again either...)...it's now bridging the gorge about 30 yards downstream of Locomotive and 4 feet clear of the water at ~1000cfs. It looks like it could fall lower...pray that doesn't happen. Also Grater has changed for the worse, it's still a left side line, but the little ledge that you could boof has been changed and it is now cleaner to run it far left rather than boof. Likewise the boulder pile at the bottom looks even more offensive and going left of it is now a very manky option. Run right of it.
BorinquenWW
Posted: Jun 4, 2011Post Subject: Log at Locomotive
Ran Gap last week and there is a massive log about 20yds past Locomotive Falls. The flow was @1400 and we managed to just limbo under it. I think another 400cfs and it would make difficult passage. Please be aware when coming up on it. -- the flows are at Clementine.

Ian Buckley
Posted: Jun 4, 2011
@1800 the log is still limbo-able (18" clearance?)
cat5btr
Posted: Jun 7, 2011Post Subject: Locomotive log
WE are planning a run in the next few wks and are concerned about the log. WE have catarafts are all experienced class 5 boaters is there a way around the hazard? do you think it would be passable at 1800-2200cfs?
daniel-todd
Posted: Jun 8, 2011Post Subject: Around the log
The log really is in a bad place to avoid at the level you are talking about running the section. Being you need to punch the hole to not get surfed you will end up going right into the log. With the river not yet flowing into the log still just going under I could foresee jumping up onto the log the pulling yours cats over. Sounds a little hairy but fun too.
Have fun and I am very interested to know how it goes.
cat5btr
Posted: Apr 11, 2012Post Subject: Log in locomotive
Has anyone seen this rapid since June of 2011? Is the log still lodged in the same spot. We decided not to run it last yr based on the opinions given here. We are hoping to get it done this spring.
penemue8
Posted: Apr 12, 2012Post Subject: it is still there
http://www.awetstate.com/Video/kayak58.html
you can see it in the video linked above... a few minutes in. Flows were 1,550 on the gauge, end of March (early season with lots of creeks coming in) and estimate it was ~1,100 or so in the riverbed at Locomotive.
daniel-todd
Posted: Apr 12, 2012
I was out there rafting about a week ago. I am guessing there was about 1,000 CFS in the gorge. 1,300 at the lake. The log was many feet about the water and easy to go under. I would guess the last flood moved the log up but I could be totally wrong about that.
Also a side note for the rapid Grater. Almost every time I have been out there I take the line down the left channel. Each time the river has been a different level. This last run I feel the rocks have moved around. This could be the same movement talked about from the Dec 2010 water just I did not notice because the water was higher.
The incoming creeks are awesome right now. have fun
cat5btr
Posted: Apr 12, 2012Post Subject: Locomotive rapid log
Thanks everyone it makes me glad I'm part of such a good community of people. I look forward to running it soon.
coronan
Posted: Mar 6, 2013
Is the log still out of play in Locamotive???
Ian Buckley
Posted: Mar 6, 2013
The log @ Loco is long gone.
Forums -> Hazards -> Changes in Giant Gap since the big flows of Dec 2010 Page 1 of 1