Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Forbestown Diversion Dam currently spilling 

Forums -> Flows -> Forbestown Diversion Dam currently spilling Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Feather - Below Forbestown Div DamLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Feb 14, 2011Post Subject: Forbestown Diversion Dam currently spilling
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "We are spilling between 450 – 500 cfs at Forbestown Diversion Dam, continuing through February 25, 2011, while we conduct an outage at Forbestown Powerhouse.  This is the stretch of the SF Feather River between Forbestown Diversion Dam (at elevation 1,700) and Ponderosa Reservoir (elevation 960)."
Rok
Posted: Mar 3, 2011Post Subject: Re: Forbestown Diversion Dam currently spilling
Chris,

Do you have any update about this stretch of the river? A few friends were at the dam last week and found that the flows were in 550 cfs range. We would love to put-on on Saturday, 3/5/2011, in the early morning hours, if flows were favorable.

Rok

chris wrote:
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "We are spilling between 450 – 500 cfs at Forbestown Diversion Dam, continuing through February 25, 2011, while we conduct an outage at Forbestown Powerhouse.  This is the stretch of the SF Feather River between Forbestown Diversion Dam (at elevation 1,700) and Ponderosa Reservoir (elevation 960)."
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 3, 2011
Rok, I'll try to get a definite answer tomorrow and if I do hear back will post.
Rok
Posted: Mar 4, 2011Post Subject: Flows 3/4/2011
Thank you Chris!
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 4, 2011
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "We are still spilling and will continue to do so through Sunday. After that, we will hopefully get the powerhouse back on line and stop the spill (around 5 pm on Sunday)."

Happy boating!
Rok
Posted: Mar 4, 2011Post Subject: SF Feather
Chris, you're awesome. Thank you!
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 10, 2011
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "We are continuing to have problems with our Forbestown powerhouse, so the SF Feather River below Forbestown Diversion dam will continue to see spill flows through this coming weekend.  Lost Creek Dam will also probably start spilling in the next day or so."
Rok
Posted: Mar 10, 2011Post Subject: What is the flow
Chris, Do you know what is the spill flow now (3/10/2011)? - Rok
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 10, 2011
Rok - yes, Dreamflows is reporting it realtime, you can check it yourself.

BTW, on the graph, those downward spikes appear to be real drops in flow as they're testing their generator [i.e. I don't think the gauge is malfunctioning].
Rok
Posted: Mar 11, 2011
Thank you!
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Nov 10, 2017
Dreamflows reports scheduled release information for So. Feather - Below Forbestown Div Dam, but every year the schedule shows "No releases".  Turns out it's very hard to control the spill here (it's not that kind of dam).  So, although we may get uncontrolled spill from time to time (e.g. due to heavy precipitation or as a side-effect of dam maintenance), we can never expect a planned scheduled release

As a result of this, the Forbestown scheduled release page will go away next year.

Watch this thread for unusual flow events.  Otherwise, you can expect "fish flows" of 10 cfs in summer and 5 cfs in winter.
Forums -> Flows -> Forbestown Diversion Dam currently spilling Page 1 of 1