Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Tree across channel below Cantera 

Forums -> Hazards -> Tree across channel below Cantera Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Sacramento - Below Box Canyon DamLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
joeriess
Posted: Mar 22, 2011Post Subject: Tree across channel below Cantera
As of last Friday, 3/18, about half a mile below Cantera, there was a large pine tree completely blocking the river. This is where there's a large slide on the river right as the main channel curves left, and a side channel on the left, which we ran and was clear and fun. It was pretty obvious and we had plenty of time to run the left channel (flow was 4.6') but it may be partially covered at higher flows.
joeriess
Posted: May 13, 2011Post Subject: Log Still there, but passable at decent flows
The tree is still there, but the limbs have been trimmed off the side closest to the left bank. At flows above 4.6' (or so) you can slide over the top of the log no problem.
Ricky
Posted: May 30, 2011Post Subject: Tree on Cantera
Actually 2 trees, spanning the river parallel about 3 feet apart. I had an up close and personal experience on 5/28 the next day a member of our party had a very similar experience even though he was well aware of what had happened to me. I've been told of at least 1 more person that had a close call there.
To the best of my recollection it is about 1 mile below the first railroad bridge. The river splits into 2 channels with the majority of the water going right, where the trees are. You will be able to see them, the roots are on river right. The left channel is low and creaky but it goes or you should be able to take out on river left above the trees.
It may look easy to cross but remember, there are 2 of them and if get sideways between them like I did it gets real ugly real fast.
stacia
Posted: May 31, 2011Post Subject: Still there, be where
Still there be where, one of my friends had to do a rescue off this when a person got pined upright but sideways. I think it might have been because someone told her the run was "over" as far as hard moves go. This is an obvious tree with an easy sneak over through the branches or on the right channel.
Ricky
Posted: Jun 4, 2011Post Subject: Trees

The hard stuff isn't over after this, the biggest rapid on Box or Cantera is still down-stream.
In my opinion it's a mistake to try to go over the trees on river left. One tree would be OK but since there are 2 trees it's very easy to get over the 1st tree and then get sideways against the lower one. Trust me, it happens very fast.
Now I know of 4 people who have had issues here, including myself.
nick sinderson
Posted: Jun 4, 2011Post Subject: two logs is the important thing to remember
The logs are not hard to spot or get out and portage around on the left, or take the right channel if you spot them in time. At todays 4.5 a portage was necessary, two weeks ago at 4.8 it was pretty easy to go over them. It would be very ugly to tangle with this bad boys while upside down
nick sinderson
Posted: Jun 6, 2011Post Subject: correction to the previous post
that would be; or take the LEFT channel as the logs are in the right channel!
stacia
Posted: Jun 7, 2011
Opps! I'm talking about below Mossbrea on the lower stretch. I think the one you are talking about Nick, has floated down stream and gotten stuck somewhere else.
Forums -> Hazards -> Tree across channel below Cantera Page 1 of 1