Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Paddle to the Sea 2011 

Forums -> Archive -> Paddle to the Sea 2011 Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Tuolumne - At Merals PoolLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
jmdmig
Posted: Mar 30, 2011Post Subject: Paddle to the Sea 2011
The Tuolumne River Trust is recruiting paddlers for its third annual Paddle to the Sea - An epic journey through the Tuolumne River
watershed beginning high in the Sierra and ending in San Francisco Bay. This Paddle-A-Thon raises money and awareness for stewardship
of one of California's great rivers. Join us on the water for a day or two, or come to one of the events along the way!

We are looking for paddlers of all ability levels who want to:

*Paddle the Main Tuolumne, 2 day overnight, private Kayak or Raft with ARTA
    *Paddle day trips on the Lower Tuolumne in rafts, canoes and kayaks
    *Paddle day trips on the Lower San Joaqin and Delta in Sea Kayaks, High Performance Surf Skis and Outriggers
    *Paddle the whole trip Source to Sea, 245 miles in a variety of craft.

Dates: May 6th - June 4th.

Web: www.paddletothesea.org
Phone: Tuolumne River Trust at(415) 882-7252

Paddles Up!

-John Dye
Guide, Tuolumne River Trust

noahnsal
Posted: May 9, 2011Post Subject: yeeeeha!
Thanks for posting this! I'm signed up and have already raised $400 from my friends and family...mostly in small increments (5-10 bucks). It was really easy to sign up and create my donation page. I can't wait to see everyone out on the water. (Sorry to have missed the big water weekend on the Merals Pool run this weekend)
jmdmig
Posted: May 9, 2011Post Subject: Rockin' Good Time at Paddle to the Sea
Great! we had mucho good water, 5,000 cfs at meral's pool. Lots of side stream action feeding the flow. Dinosaur Rock completely covered at Clavey, just an enormous hole. Clavey hole itself was a cycling, exploding wave. Weather was, P-E-R-F-E-C-T.
ARTA did an incredible job with great guides, food and skill on the river. Very worth the 2 mile walk in to the put-in even carrying the kayak, never seen that water level. Pushy, but very managable.
Crossing Don Pedro was also great. We (Elaine Baden, Jamie Lease and myself) used a Fenn Mako Millenium full carbon K2 surf ski and a Huki S1-X single surf ski, with Epic Midwing carbon blades, cruised at 5.0 to 7.2 mph the whole way, 21 miles in 4 hours on water time, total just under 4:45 hours including lunch, from Wards Ferry to the Dam. Scenery pretty good, headwinds light, very little traffic on the res.

A good workout: 1 down hill walk, 3 camp sites, 1 flipped and one fully airborne raft, one bald eagle, a canyon full of endless white wonder, 1 darn long paddle and 2 loads of laundry later. jd says check out the photos at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150572584105526.670028.84614105525

Much more to come, Looking forward to next weekend-

Paddles Up!

-John Dye
Guide, 2011 Paddle to the Sea.
Forums -> Archive -> Paddle to the Sea 2011 Page 1 of 1