Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  confused 

Forums -> Archive -> confused Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Trinity - At Pigeon PointLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
madmiguel
Posted: May 24, 2011Post Subject: confused
If they are ramping DOWN flows right now and there are numerous tributaries between Pigeon Point and Ceder Flat, why is Pigeon Point 437 cfs higher than Ceder Flat? Am I missing something here?
chris
Site Admin
Posted: May 24, 2011Post Subject: Re: confused
madmiguel wrote:
Am I missing something here?

Yes, you're assuming the world is peopled (so to speak) with well-behaved gauges . They all have errors associated with them, and if one's reading high at the same time another's reading low, the error is more noticeable.

Pigeon Point is a straight computation of Helena + Trin Above NF, and I've just checked and the computation is right. So evidently the three gauges (Helena, Trin Above NF, Cedar Flat) together are sufficiently out of whack to create the logical absurdity you noticed.

Which is disconcerting, no argument. Hopefully it's not Helena that's wrong, else someone's going to go up there to boat and have WAY less water than they were expecting. But if it's only one of the other two (or both), then the gauges are still accurate enough for boating purposes, yes?
madmiguel
Posted: May 27, 2011Post Subject: thanks
makes sense now
Forums -> Archive -> confused Page 1 of 1