Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Submerged Tree in Seldom Seen / Surprise Rapid (unverified) 

Forums -> Hazards -> Submerged Tree in Seldom Seen / Surprise Rapid (unverified) Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. American - At Chili BarLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
jamielow
Posted: Jan 5, 2015Post Subject: Submerged Tree in Seldom Seen / Surprise Rapid (unverified)
This was posted by Julie on the Coloma/Lotus newsletter last night:

Hi there,

There has been a tree in the very last rapid (seldom seen rapid) at the very bottom on river right for at least 5 weeks now. It is/was in the right side of the last hole that people tend to surf. You can see the tree from the top of the rapid, it is very visible and obvious. It is similar to the tree down on rivers edge at son of Satans.

Yesterday, a group of 3 paddlers were flagging people to go left and had ropes on it. Today we went down at low flow and it turns out they cut the tree, left a loose rope tied to it and the bottom section in the middle of the hole with the cut trunk upstream.

Now it is completely hidden and a huge hazard. Now at normal flows if you punch the hole you will get a log to the chest or worse. Then all the branches are below that as well. Going sideways or trying to catch the eddy will dump you directly into the tree.

I am going to go back in tomorrow to take it out, I will be able to get the entire tree out . Today it was too late in the day to guarantee that we could get the entire hazard out. I took the loose rope out.

If you get out there before me or know anyone going out, please warn them.

Thank you,
Julie

juliemitravich
Posted: Jan 5, 2015Post Subject: Tree removed from sfa gorge-went in today and removed the tree
Today we went back into the gorge, cut all the branches off the tree and cut the tree into smaller segments. It is now removed and no longer a hazard
Forums -> Hazards -> Submerged Tree in Seldom Seen / Surprise Rapid (unverified) Page 1 of 1