Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  safe temps for inflatable kayaking w/out wetsuit-drysuit 

Forums -> General -> safe temps for inflatable kayaking w/out wetsuit-drysuit Page 1 of 1
 Author  Message 
jjeisel
Posted: Mar 25, 2009Post Subject: safe temps for inflatable kayaking w/out wetsuit-drysuit
Hi folks -- I just got an inflatable kayak but don't have a wet or drysuit or the money to get them. Can you tell me from your experience generally what water temperature is safe and comfortable for a day of inflatable kayaking (ie sitting partially submerged) in a regular bathing suit and Tevas?

I'm looking to do daylong Class II trips on Sac-area rivers like Cache Creek, Bear, Butte, NF American, MF American, etc.

Thanks!
shastagirl
Posted: Mar 25, 2009Post Subject: wetsuits
If you cant stay warm being wet all day in your IK then thinking its too cold. It depends on everyones tolerance individually. Wetsuits are a dime a dozen on craigslist and other water sites, even the local raft companys will usually sell used suits. Being in a low position, on the water all day, is like being in ten degrees colder air. There is a group of chico boaters doing Butte Creek tomorrow see yahoo groups, chico paddlers website. Good luck
georgew
Posted: Mar 26, 2009Post Subject: Wet suits
Wet suits work well when the water is cold. As long as the wind is not blowing, and the day is sunny. I paddled that way for years. If you have a paddle jacket and paddle pants to wear over your wet suit. That will help bunches. Make sure you have a good pair of neoprene booties. Dive booties with a good sole on them are best. Think 3-8 millimeters for your feet. Keep your wet suit at about 3 mil. 8 mil on the body is warmer but harder to move in. 3 mill with a 1-3 mill layer works well and allows for good movement. Other than that, dry-suits are the way to go. But they can be costly. Using layers in your wet suit combined with a good paddle top & bottom will not keep you dry. But will keep you fairly warm. Just don't swim a lot...
best of luck.
George.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 26, 2009
The other advice given here seems good to me, however you mentioned you can't afford either wet suit or dry suit and your question was: "what water temperature is safe and comfortable for a day of inflatable kayaking (ie sitting partially submerged) in a regular bathing suit and Tevas?".

I don't know the answer to specifically that, however my paddling career started out in rafts, and as I recall the general rule of thumb was that if air temp plus water temp is less than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, wear a wet suit. Since you're actually sitting in the water, I'd guess you'd want to go a bit higher than that.

This website might help: http://waterski.about.com/od/wetsuitcare/a/wetsuit_temp.htm

But a dude who can probably tell you the answer off the top of his head is Bill Tuthill, who runs CA Creeks. Bill's email is on the home page. As an IKer you'll find that site useful for selecting runs, too.
ANYCFS
Posted: Mar 28, 2009Post Subject: IKing attire
HI there - I always wear protective outer wear - and you can get really tired and chilled even in warm weather without something on - I wear a drysuit all winter long and either a shortie or farmer john in the summer (helps not get too much sunburn also!) And with that I take a paddle top for when the breeze kicks in and if my skin gets chilly. - Better to have the protection and warmth than suffer from exposure even when the temps are warm...
Enjoy the sport! Happy paddling
Forums -> General -> safe temps for inflatable kayaking w/out wetsuit-drysuit Page 1 of 1