Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Suction dredge mining banned on California rivers! 

Forums -> General -> Suction dredge mining banned on California rivers! Page 1 of 1
 Author  Message 
scottharding
Posted: Aug 6, 2009Post Subject: Suction dredge mining banned on California rivers!
Governor Signs Bill Banning Suction Dredge Mining in California’s Rivers
Bill Supported by Klamath Riverkeeper Halts Dredging Immediately

Sacramento, CA – Today Governor Schwarzenegger signed SB 670 into law, temporarily banning the use of in-stream suction dredges for gold mining. Suction dredge mining is known to harm fisheries, degrade water quality, and threaten public health. SB 670’s ban will remain in effect until the California Department of Fish and Game completes an environmental review of the practice and issues new regulations.

Any and all suction dredges on California's rivers are now breaking the law. Please note their location, vehicle tags, etc. and report them to CalTIP at (888) DFG-CALTIP (888-334-2258) or call Klamath Riverkeeper at (530) 627-3311.

Read the full story here: http://klamathriver.org/media/pressreleases/Press-Release-080609b.html

Scott Harding
Executive Director
Klamath Riverkeeper
shastagirl
Posted: Aug 10, 2009Post Subject: trinity
There are still dredges going on the trinity early mornings. Hoping they stop soon. It is so AWESOME to see them pulled out day by day. I have never seen a happier sight in my 22 yrs. of boating. Thanks for all the hard work everyone did to make this happen!
scottharding
Posted: Aug 10, 2009Post Subject: Dredging is a crime and should be reported to 888-DFG-CALTIP
Hey Shastagirl (and all others on the rivers),

As of last Wednesday, August 6, suction dredging is illegal and is punsihable by 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine.

Any dredge in the water should be reported along with detailed location information and any vehicle tag numbers associated with the dredge. Call 888-DFG-CALTIP (888-334-2258) to report directly to CA Dept. of Fish & Game. Listen for the prompt about reporting a fish and game violation (extension 03). You can call anonymously. The more info you can provide, the better.

Even though dredging has been outlawed, it will take considerable effort to get some miners to comply with the law.
Forums -> General -> Suction dredge mining banned on California rivers! Page 1 of 1