Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  EAST FORK CARSON ACCESS ISSUE 

Forums -> Access Issues -> EAST FORK CARSON ACCESS ISSUE Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: E. Fk Carson - Near MarkleevilleLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
tahoetraveler
Posted: May 7, 2010Post Subject: EAST FORK CARSON ACCESS ISSUE
Please be advised there is a potential access issue at the put-in upstream from Hangman's Bridge. The established put in on the gravel bar across from the Carson River Resort has been converted into a private campsite by the owner of the resort. It is reported that he is not going to allow boaters to use this established access as a put-in. Boaters may wish to consider talking to the owner at the resort's store prior to rigging and launching.

There is an alternative launch site at the Hangman's Bridge location.
rosamond
Posted: Apr 29, 2013
The Owner of the resort is WAY out of line in attempting to make that put-in "off limits" or to claim that that property even belongs to him. The mean high water mark right there, by definition of "public corridor" under California state law, is within 15 feet of the public road, and, again, by state law, that is public access right of way.
Is there a lawyer in the house who wants to lock horns with this guy ? Losing that put-in has doubled the crowding factor at Hangmans.
tahoetraveler
Posted: Apr 29, 2013
Yes he is probably way out of line, but possesion is 9/10 of the law. Be advised that the best way to deal with him is to call him and ask to use the put in. In the past he was ok with this.
At higher flows there is a place just upstream from the campground, small dirt access road (unless Forest service closed it)where you can launch, also can launch just downstream from his gravelbar.

His name is Todd. the number is 530-694-2229
vette60
Posted: Apr 29, 2013Post Subject: access
Settle down fellas... Todd has always been a nice guy. it is in fact his private property and has been for long time. he has just recently decided to make it a group site in the last 2 years. why is it that we should feel the "Right" to tresspass without permission? I have been calling to say hello and ask him if it is OK to launch for several years now and he has never said no, and as a mater of fact, has always been appreciative of the phone call. why dont you guys try being cordial and respectful and support a small local business instead of "lets get a lawyer"
tahoetraveler
Posted: Apr 30, 2013
Vett60, I'm sure others may disagree with Todd and your assessment of private vs public land.

Regardless of legal issues, he is cooperative and willing to let people launch if they call him first and ask. His biggest complaint in the past has been that boaters leave trash and crap in the bushes. So keep it clean, ask him to use it and everyone is happy.

I disagree with your comments regarding previous posts, no one is advocating trespassing on private property, and of the 3 previous posts here 2 of them are advising people what the situation is and what to do so that the situation does not escalate.

vette60
Posted: May 1, 2013
Tahoetraveller, yes you are on the right track. my comments are more dealing with the comment of getting a lawyer to deal with it. My point is to, as you also said, just talk to Todd and get permission. he has always been a good guy. no need to "lawyer up"

Boat on!
rosamond
Posted: May 1, 2013
Actually, last spring, I went up to his lodge and asked very politely if my family and I could put in there, whereupon he told me he wanted 20 bucks for us to put in. I came away thinking he was quite the dick. Not a big deal, but he definitely gave himself some bad P.R. that day.
GuyH
Posted: May 3, 2013
The shuttle driver recommended that if we have small kids, we might want to contact Todd and see about using his put-in. He was extremely friendly and informed me it would be $10/boat which he says basically covers the cost of the port-a-potty he has down there.

The way I see it, we are fortunate that Todd's beach isn't the only option, there is a great public put-in right at the bridge, which we used.

Now the person that left their dogs huge, Chaco sized crap in the middle of the put-in trail is someone I would like to talk to....but that's a different story.....

Have fun out there!
tahoetraveler
Posted: May 3, 2013
Thanks Guy,

That seems to be the current situation - $10/boat pay at the store beforehand. Ask for Todd.

Forums -> Access Issues -> EAST FORK CARSON ACCESS ISSUE Page 1 of 1