Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Large number of logs on Chili Bar 

Forums -> Hazards -> Large number of logs on Chili Bar Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. American - At Chili BarLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Apr 12, 2011Post Subject: Large number of logs on Chili Bar
Bill Deitchman of CA Parks passes on an email from a dude called Bert saying: "At around 6pm this evening on Tuesday the 12th, I looked out the window and saw a large number of very large logs coming down the South Fork. I looked upstream at the face of Chili Bar dam, and saw that the logs were coming over the spillway. I walked up to the dam and spoke to some PG&E employees who said they released the logs from their cable driftwood dam because the buildup was getting severe.

Please put out the word and give private boaters and outfitters the heads up that there might be some new wood in some unexpected places along the South Fork. It really was a very large release of wood. I counted about 10 large logs/minute and it went on for about an hour. The river is no longer so high that we can expect it all to get flushed downstream or caught up and stranded high above the normal waterline. Meatgrinder in particular might need checking out, I will hike down there early tomorrow a.m. if I can."
jamielow
Posted: Apr 14, 2011Post Subject: Logs on Chili Bar
Kayaked Chili Bar to Lotus yesterday at 4000 to 4500 cfs; saw a good number of stuck logs ranging in size from the width of a telephone pole to a large garbage can. A few of them wound up on islands, the vast majority were up out of the water on the banks. No obvious obstructions in the main channels at that flow. Keep an eye out when the water comes up, many of these are likely to migrate downstream.
Forums -> Hazards -> Large number of logs on Chili Bar Page 1 of 1