Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Wild and Scenic Rivers Under Siege 

Forums -> Archive -> Wild and Scenic Rivers Under Siege Page 1 of 1
 Author  Message 
grandparows
Posted: Aug 16, 2012Post Subject: Wild and Scenic Rivers Under Siege
The Wild and Scenic River System was created in 1968 to protect rivers from further development that would adversely affect the public's ability to appreciate and enjoy their characters as flowing rivers for all future generations.

I know from personal involvement on several sections that have been designated as Wild and Scenic that it is no easy goal to accomplish. Expert testimony, landholder contacts, politicians, and many other government agencies are involved in a thorough, and expensive process that takes years.

This year a bill passed the House of Representatives (HR 869) that would for the first time ever permit flooding of a Wild and Scenic river (the Merced). This is a dangerous precedent, and must be stopped before a similar bill can pass the Senate. Please write to Senators Boxer and Feinstein if you live in California, or whomever your senators are if you live in another state.

Hand written letters carry the most weight, they are counted as 100 votes on an issue. Please include your address on your letter and request a reply.

For further information, visit www.friendsoftheriver.org

Here are the mailing addresses for Boxer and Feinstein:

Hon. Barbara Boxer Hon. Dianne Feinstein
U.S. Senate U.S. Senate
112 Hart Senate Office Bldg. 331 Hart Senate Office Bldg
Washington, D.C.20510 Washington, D.C.20510

Forums -> Archive -> Wild and Scenic Rivers Under Siege Page 1 of 1