Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Possible Middle Fork American closure due to fire 

Forums -> Archive -> Possible Middle Fork American closure due to fire Page 1 of 1
Posted to area: CA - MF American, RubiconLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 18, 2013Post Subject: Possible Middle Fork American closure due to fire
Bill Deitchman of CA State Parks wrote today:

"Greetings MFAR outfitters and private boaters,

Today I spoke with the acting District Ranger from the American River District (Foresthill) Tahoe National Forest.  He advised that the American Fire is progressing in such a manner that at some time in the near future, the Mosquito Ridge Road may need to be closed to all public access, including commercial and non-commercial boating access to the Oxbow put-in for the Tunnel Chute run.  As you are aware, the fire is burning down the North Fork of the Middle Fork American River as well in different directions upward on both sides of the canyon and upriver.  He felt that it was likely that Mosquito Ridge Road will be open tomorrow morning but after that, it is uncertain what will happen.  Much of the uncertainty is based on an upcoming weather pattern change that is likely to affect the fire differently.  He wanted to be sure that he is giving us as much notice as possible to the overall situation but unfortunately, things can change quickly and a closure might occur with little notice.  I thanked him for his communications and his wanting to keep us all in the loop.  Please feel free to pass this e-mail on to anyone else you think might like to receive the information.  Updates as well as road closure information for the fire can be found at the following web links:

http://yubanet.com/nevada/American.php

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3624"
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 20, 2013
Bill Deitchman of CA State Parks wrote today:

"The acting District Ranger from Tahoe National Forest -American River District was kind enough today to give me an update on the fire and access on Mosquito Ridge Road from Foresthill to Oxbow. The fire suppression efforts are such that it is not likely that the fire will work downriver (NF of the MFAR) to where it would close Mosquito Ridge Road.  However, keep in mind that this scenario can always change dependent upon weather, etc.  and thus necessitate the closing of the road in the future.  In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy the river."
Forums -> Archive -> Possible Middle Fork American closure due to fire Page 1 of 1