Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Comments on the "New River - New River Gorge" gauge. 

Forums -> Flows -> Comments on the "New River - New River Gorge" gauge. Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: New River - New River GorgeLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: May 28, 2008Post Subject: Comments on the "New River - New River Gorge" gauge.
The New River - New River Gorge flow site is an obsolete (but real) river gauge whose readings are entered into Dreamflows every now and then by a local volunteer.  This means the most-recent data could be somewhat out-of-date.  If so, you can still compare the New River - New River Gorge readings (which are actual flow) with Dreamflows' Denny estimate (which is estimated flow), and in this way "calibrate" the Denny gauge, i.e. get a feel for whether the Denny estimate is currently high, good or low, and compensate accordingly. 

Since New River - New River Gorge is an obsolete gauge, it hasn't been recalibrated in some time.  If you have feedback concerning the current accuracy of the reported gauge readings, please share.  Thanks!
Robin
Posted: Jun 14, 2011Post Subject: Gauging New River
I judge the flows on New River by looking at the North Fork of the Trinity where I live. Over the last 25 years of doing this they have been fairly close in CFS (flow), good enough for kayaking. The North Fork Trinity gauge is the only one on “river right” of the Trinity so it is very useful in judging other “river right” streams such as Canyon Creek, Stuart's Fork and the East Fork of the North Fork. However it is not as useful for judging Coffee Creek, also on river right. Use the upper Trinity gauge for that. Thank you Chris for going to the extra effort in getting us the flows to a gauge that the USGS says is down.
Robin
Forums -> Flows -> Comments on the "New River - New River Gorge" gauge. Page 1 of 1