Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley 

Forums -> Archive -> SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Feather - Below Little Grass ValleyLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: May 7, 2009Post Subject: SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows:

"Controlled releases at Little Grass Valley Dam are resulting in spills at South Fork Diversion and, later today, at Forbestown Diversion on the SF Feather River. The following flows will be in the river until Monday May 11:

SF Feather River below Little Grass Valley = 435 cfs

SF Feather River below SF Diversion Dam = 600 cfs+ currently with accretion flows. As accretion drops off, flows will go toward 435 cfs (no diversion occurring until Tuesday May 12)

SF Feather River below Forbestown Diversion - currently not spilling, but as the upstream flows reach the diversion later today, spill will peak at about 600 cfs and drop toward 435 cfs as accretion flows diminish.

On Monday May 11, the flows below Little Grass Valley will start ramping toward 150 cfs. Diversions at SF Diversion will resume on Tuesday May 12, with flows returning to the summer minimum of 10 cfs there and below Forbestown Diversion."
chris
Site Admin
Posted: May 8, 2009

"As of this afternoon, the SF Feather River flows are as follows:

Below Little Grass Valley: 435 cfs

Below SF Diversion: 564 cfs

Below Forbestown Diversion: 370 cfs (flows are less than upstream because water is being diverted to Forbestown Powerhouse).

On Monday, flows will be ramped down below Little Grass Valley, although possibly not all the way to 150 cfs - it will depend on inflows at the time. However, the flows will likely be below what was considered "boatable" during the studies on the river."
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jun 3, 2009
On Monday, June 1, the South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows. I've been out of town hence the delay in posting:

"SF Feather River below Little Grass Valley = 20 cfs

SF Feather River below SF Diversion and Forbestown Diversion = 10.5 cfs

Lost Creek = 9 cfs

Slate Creek = 11 cfs"
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 12, 2009

"Because water was held in storage longer at Little Grass Valley this summer, releases beginning August 17 and continuing through the end of September will be in the boatable range. The planned schedule we have received from PG&E is as follows:

August 17 – begin ramping from 100 cfs to 250 cfs. Hold 250 cfs through September 1.

September 2 – ramp from 250 cfs to 300 cfs and hold at 300 cfs throughout September. This will take Little Grass Valley to its end of September elevation of 5,022 feet, keeping the boat ramps at the reservoir in service until the end of the month.

The 300 cfs flow will probably continue into October as the fall drawdown begins. I will let you know the updated flow schedule as we get closer to October.

Note that campgrounds at Little Grass Valley begin closing after Labor Day, although many stay open through the middle of September. The Sly Creek Campground will be closed on October 1."
Thomas M
Posted: Aug 15, 2009
Chris,
In regards to the previous post. The flow schedule seems odd. Any idea why the 250 cfs then only 300? Last year at 350 seemed ideal. While 300 is fine I wonder is it possible to make the flow ideal. It would be interesting to know if more was possible. After talking to many that boat this stretch each year I think most people would rather a little more water for less time.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 16, 2009Post Subject: Re:
Thomas M wrote:
Chris,
Any idea why the 250 cfs then only 300? Last year at 350 seemed ideal. While 300 is fine I wonder is it possible to make the flow ideal.

This is essentially the same question as last year. Their answer was: "The current release schedule is for power generation purposes, while the fall release schedule is for lowering the reservoir and is shaped in consultation with American Whitewater to provide boatable flows".

The fall release schedule isn't available yet, but it is expected to start early October.

chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 1, 2009

"I’m confirming that the flows in the SF Feather River below Little Grass Valley Dam were set to 300 cfs today. We will continue to make releases at this rate throughout September and into the first part of October. I’ll let you know when I know the end date.

While most campgrounds at Little Grass Valley will close after Labor Day, the facilities on the peninsula (Peninsula Tent Campground and Wyandotte Campground) will remain open throughout September, as will the Sly Creek Campground."
Thomas M
Posted: Sep 2, 2009
So last year we just got lucky that the power generation needed 350 cfs and this year it only needs 300? As a selfish boater, I am just curious if this decision is the sole discretion of those that make the power or if AW is influencing the decision.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 3, 2009Post Subject: Re:
Thomas M wrote:
So last year we just got lucky that the power generation needed 350 cfs and this year it only needs 300? As a selfish boater, I am just curious if this decision is the sole discretion of those that make the power or if AW is influencing the decision.

This time last year the flow was 145 cfs, not 300 cfs. You may be confusing the power generation phase (Aug/Sep) with the draw down phase (Oct). Power generation is when they choose flows to suit them. Draw down is when they generously set boatable flows to suit us (they have no obligation). Right now, we're in the power generation phase, so the current boatable flows are a freebie.

I'll publish the draw down schedule (the one where they set flows to suit us) on Dreamflows as soon as it's available. They normally start the draw down first week in October, so the schedule should come out quite soon.
Ian Buckley
Posted: Sep 22, 2009Post Subject: Heard any rumors yet for Octobers schedule?
Chris, any gossip yet from the power co about the October schedule?
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 22, 2009
Ian - your timing is impeccable. The schedule became official today:
http://www.dreamflows.com/Pages/FeatherLittleGrassSchedule.php
Forums -> Archive -> SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley Page 1 of 1