Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Lower Tuolumne River access notes and other info 

Forums -> Archive -> Lower Tuolumne River access notes and other info Page 1 of 1
Posted to area: CA - Tuolumne - Lower and Cherry CreekLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 24, 2011Post Subject: Lower Tuolumne River access notes and other info
Bob Stanley, Lead River Ranger, Stanislaus N.F., writes as follows:

"Hi Everyone,

Here's an update of river patrol activity for the Tuolumne.

It's mid season in one of the most exciting years of flows experienced in a long time.  Altho the water did not get as high as some of us expected, it stayed very high for a long time.  We witnessed 3 flips, heard about 14 others, so with additional incidents/swimmers, there was plenty of action this spring.

As planned last year, we have been doing inspections of rafting gear to assess river readiness with the commercial outfitters.  So far we have focused on medical kits, and now that that water is coming down we will shift our emphasis to the wrap/rescue kits.  These inspections are orientated towards improving our overall readiness and to cross pollinate good ideas and practices in our community.

We also completed some project work pre high water in early May.  With our fire crew we bucked and moved out of the high water zone the logs remaining from our hazard tree removal at Clavey right last year.  In addition we removed a hazard tree at Indian creek.

We will be doing additional project work with botanists, bryologists, lichenologists, and archeologists in August.  We have also started mapping invasive weed areas in the Tuolumne Canyon.

Soon the Cherry Creek season will be on us, and we are hoping all those who participate will have a good experience.  The porta potty has been ordered up for Holmes Powerhouse put in.

Still no word as to exactly when the Lumsden road will be fixed.  Those of you planning to boat on Cherry Creek, please stay in the loop with us about transportation issues down the backside thru Jawbone.  We are trying to get the road grading finished, and we are concerned about the narrowness of the road for two way traffic.  Ideas regarding how to manage this issue are welcome.

Brooks Bryant (my partner) and I look forward to seeing many if not most of you on the water this summer."
Tom Johnson
Posted: Jul 27, 2011Post Subject: Lost Cataract Oar
On July 24, 2011--Sunday--I lost a black Cataract Oar with Carlisle blade. Last seen floating down river near Sunderland's Chute. Please contact Tom at 209-536-6596. Or e-mail at johnsont@yosemite,edu Thanks!
Forums -> Archive -> Lower Tuolumne River access notes and other info Page 1 of 1