Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  NF Feather - Tobin flows this weekend and next. 

Forums -> Archive -> NF Feather - Tobin flows this weekend and next. Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. Feather - Below Rock Creek DamLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Feb 2, 2007Post Subject: NF Feather - Tobin flows this weekend and next.
I asked Dave Steindorf (AW) about Tobin releases and he responded: "PG&E are required to do two ecological flows per month Jan, Feb and March. If there has not been any spill it is a pretty good bet that these flows will occur on the last weekends of the month. The base flows have gone up as of Jan 1. The current flows are 450 to 500cfs."

In other words, the 1800 cfs we saw the last two Saturdays (Jan 20 and 27) were special releases. We can therefore expect, with reasonable confidence, about 500 cfs both days this weekend and next.
Cornbread
Posted: Feb 3, 2007
Would that mean that there is a good chance that we might see simular releases of good boatable fows at the end of Feb and March? It would be sweet if we could find out in advance.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Feb 6, 2007
Cornbread wrote:
Would that mean that there is a good chance that we might see simular releases of good boatable fows at the end of Feb and March? It would be sweet if we could find out in advance.

My reading of Dave's information is that PG&E will make their ecological releases during (or as a result of) rain events early in the month if they can. Therefore, I'd expect release(s) at the end of Feb, and again at the end of March, only if they haven't already made their two ecological releases for the month. Guess it all depends on rain. But even if they do release towards the end of the month, we still don't know for sure which day(s) they'll release on. Which brings us to advance warning of releases: absolutely, and Dave says he's working on that. Co-ordination with PG&E is required. I'll post whatever information I can find as and when I receive it.

Lastly, some of us ran Tobin Saturday (at 500 cfs) and had a great time. The river channelizes well, and offers many tight technical moves that end well if you know where to go, have good boat control and a good boof. Personally, I enjoyed Tobin (and to some extent Lobin too) more at 500 cfs than at 1200.

- Chris
Edited once.  Last edited by chris Feb 6, 2007.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Feb 22, 2007Post Subject: Releases this Saturday, Feb 24, 2007
Dave Steindorf reports as follows: "I just got the scoop. Flows will begin at midnight Friday on the Rock Creek reach and 4:00 am on Saturday on the Cresta reach. Flows will last
for 12 hours at 1600 cfs. The ramp down of 150 per hour will ensure plenty of water on either reach on Saturday."
Forums -> Archive -> NF Feather - Tobin flows this weekend and next. Page 1 of 1